General Mills Launches New Wellness-Focused Products This Summer
The changing consumer mindset on health and wellness has motivated some companies to provide healthier choices. Not only are people counting calories, they are examining the ingredients and asking the question, “What is this ingredient and how does that affect my health?”
Conforming to the demand, General Mills just unveiled its line-up of new products set to debut this summer that are gluten free, high protein, organic, and made with simple ingredients. Leading this healthier product line is the new Yoplait Plenti, Nature Valley Toasted Oats Muesli, and Annie’s organic soups.
Jeanine Bassett, vice president of Global Consumer Insights at General Mills, discusses what consumers look for in food today and confirms the leading trend is wellness. Learn more in the video below.
General Mills Emphasis Wellness
Just last month, General Mills announced it would remove artificial flavors and colors from artificial sources in Big G cereals, replacing these ingredients with fruit and vegetable juices and spice extracts. Seventy-five percent of the Big G portfolio will meet this claim by January with the remainder by the end of calendar year 2017.
Around the world, consumers are focused on wellness and General Mills is responding to these evolving consumer preferences with:
- Nature Valley Toasted Oats Muesli – A blend of simple ingredients including toasted oats, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, toasted coconut, almonds and pumpkin seeds, new Nature Valley Toasted Oats Muesli can be eaten plain, with milk or yogurt. Each quarter-cup serving has less than 5 grams of sugar. Available in Original or Blueberry flavors in the U.S., and Field Berry and Coconut Almond varieties in Canada.
- Yoplait Plenti – This new line from Yoplait combines Greek Yogurt with whole grain oats, flax and pumpkin seeds for hearty, protein-packed yogurt. With 12 grams of protein in each cup, Yoplait Plenti is available in eight flavors including blueberry, black cherry, coconut, peach raspberry, spiced apple, strawberry and vanilla.
- Annie’s organic soups – Available in the soup aisle for the first time, Annie’s introduces its new organic soup line in flavors like Star Pasta & Chicken Soup, Tomato Soup, Creamy Tomato & Bunny Pasta Soup, Bunny Pasta & Chicken Broth Soup and Creamy Carrot & Bunny Pasta.
- Food Should Taste Good Real Good Bars – These delicious, indulgent bars combine large, whole nuts, seeds and real fruit pieces with fair trade chocolate and unexpected culinary spices like Madagascar vanilla, shaved coconut and chai. Food Should Taste Good Real Good Bars are gluten free and contain no GMOs, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bars – Simply made with the inherent goodness of whole nuts, seeds, honey, tapioca syrup and sea salt, these naturally gluten-free bars come in two varieties: Almond, Cashew & Sea Salt, and Roasted Peanut & Honey.
- Cheerios Plus—In Canada, Cheerios Plus combines delicious toasted Cheerios with crunchy granola clusters mixed with nutritious protein or flax seed. Available in Cinnamon Coconut and Honey Almond.
- Yoplait O’Fruit – In China, this drinkable yogurt has big fruit pieces that require an extra-large straw to drink. It is one of three different lines of Yoplait launching this summer in China, which also includes Perle de lait, a thick and creamy French style yogurt, and Panier de fruits, a fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt.
See the full product line-up set to release this summer HERE.
(H/T) Summer 2015 new product showcase | A Taste of General Mills