INFOGRAPHIC: Not So SHOCKING Truth – What Happens 60 Minutes After Drinking Just 1 Coke
With 1.6 billion servings of Coke sold each day worldwide, it’s not surprising to hear the fizzing sound of soda in the workplace, at home, or a restaurant. However, do we really think and understand what this daily habit is doing to our bodies? WATCH: Coke remove rust off this old rusty bumper.
A revealing infographic was recently compiled by former UK pharmacists Niraj Naik, The Renegade Pharmacist. This visual shows the internal reaction happening in the body after drinking a coke, starting at the first sip all the way down. Also see video at the bottom of the page.
When somebody drinks a can of Coke or any similar sugary caffeine drink, watch what happens…
- In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
- 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
- >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
- >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
- >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
Link To Diseases & Obesity
Niraj found a common factor linked to many widespread diseases such as obesity, heart disease and diabetes. This common ingredient causing disease is fructose, found in high-fructose corn syrup.
He explains that fructose is only metabolized by the liver and is very similar to ethanol (the alcohol in drinks). When you consume it, it’s actually like ethanol but without the high. This confuses the liver and ends up making lots of bad fats in the process. It also doesn’t let your brain know you are full. He says this is why people are able to drink massive cups of sugary sodas high in fructose, and still eat huge meals containing refined foods that are also full of fructose.
Coke is not only loaded with high fructose corn syrup, it is also packed with refined salts and caffeine. Regular consumption of these ingredients in the high quantities you find in Coke and other processed foods and drinks, can lead to higher blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.
Alarming statistics display that more than 2 in 3 adults are considered to be overweight or obese, with more than 1 in 6 children and adolescents ages 6-19 are considered to be obese, according to The National Institue of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
If you value your heart, health and mind then please remember this knowledge next time you have a coke craving.
Low, Calorie Drink Alternatives that actually taste good:
- Water with a freshly squeezed lemon
- Green tea (hot or cold)
- Stevia to naturally sweeten coffee/tea.
- Boost your body naturally with healthy alternative drinks, such as the guilt-free, mood enhancing – energy drink, AXIO.
Jeremy Paxmn expresses Europe’s concern of sugar amounts with the Head of Coke Europe:
Reader – Will you change, or continue damaging your body with sugary sodas?
Thank you for reading the Complete Wellness Report and we look forward to hearing your thoughts.
(H/T) What Happens One Hour After Drinking A Can Of Coke | TruthTheory